KalmaBaby goes viral
BBC Look North visited our Cedar Grove Wellbeing Centre to see our customer’s interaction with their regular KalmaBaby yoga sessions delivered by Sarah Lawless .
Kalma Baby offers baby yoga, toddler yoga, junior yoga and baby developmental massage classes. Their sessions make development fun with unique benefits for young bodies and minds. The benefit to our customers within the wellbeing and extra care settings is obvious. Adults who experienced close intergenerational interaction are less prone to depression and have better physical health as they feel more active and productive.It prevents the isolation and loneliness of older adults.
10 Benefits to Intergenerational Relationships
Intergenerational bonding is good for all concerned, and also has many benefits starting from improving the immune system to enhancing social intelligence.
- It provides an opportunity for both to learn new skills.
- It gives the child and the older adult a sense of purpose.
- Helps children to understand and later accept their own aging.
- Engaging with children invigorates and energizes older adults.
- It prevents the isolation and loneliness of older adults.
- Intergenerational sharing helps in keeping family stories and history alive.
- It is an aid in cognitive stimulation as well as broadening social circles especially when the youth introduce technology into the life of older adults.
- It also improves mental health so that they can perform better on memory tests, and those with dementia also experience positive effects.
- It reduces feelings of sadness as these are experiences they enjoy and look forward to.
- It increases their self-worth and self-esteem along with improved performance.
Developing connections with a younger generation can help older adults feel a greater sense of fulfilment.
EveryDay Wellbeing Centres
With our Wellbeing Centre Services we aim to improve the quality of life of older people, especially those who may have limited mobility and social interaction due to various constraints. Our interactive programme keeps them active and engaged through physical, mental and social activities. We also provide additional intergenerational activities with regular Jo Jingles sessions which again offer music and movement classes for babies and toddlers. Customers can also take advantage of seated exercise , Tai Chi, Pets As Wellbeing (PAW), social and craft activities. The three wellbeing centres also offer hairdressing, podiatry and chiropody services.
Take a look at the BBC’s short Cedar Grove video here : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-tyne-45287770/wallsend-baby-yoga-class-brings-old-and-young-together
Our Wellbeing Centre offer is described for you here : https://www.everydayuk.org/wellbeing/
KalmaBaby information can be found here https://kalmababy.co.uk/northtyneside/